The Department of Psychology and Counseling at Nevada State College invites applications for either an Assistant or Associate Professor of Psychology (open-rank; open area) to start August 2023.
The preferred candidate will be passionate about fostering student success among a highly diverse undergraduate student population and will have exhibited excellence in high-quality teaching at the undergraduate level, including involving undergraduates in research. The candidate should be able to teach core courses in the psychology curriculum (General Psychology; Statistics; Research Methods; Research-based Capstone) as well as their area of expertise. Faculty teach 24 credits per academic year (four courses per semester) in which half of the faculty's instructional load is dedicated to core courses in the psychology curriculum. To support our growth, we are especially interested in faculty who can broaden course offerings and student research opportunities in clinical, counseling, or developmental psychology.
Candidates applying for the rank of associate professor are expected to have a significant record of achievement in the following areas: teaching, research, and service; academic leadership (including mentoring junior faculty); and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. If recommended for hire, candidates will have one week to submit a tenure dossier to the campus-wide Promotion and Tenure committee. The committee will review the candidate’s portfolio using criteria outlined in the School of Liberal Arts & Sciences Standards of Academe to make a recommendation to hire with tenure. Candidates who are applying for tenure at their current institutions are welcome to apply to the rank of associate professor.
The review of applications will begin in early February and will continue until the position is filled. Direct questions to Kelsey Morris, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unless stated otherwise, all positions require Nevada residency and on-site work.
About Psychology & Counseling at NSC:
The Psychology & Counseling Department offers a bachelor of arts in psychology and a minor in counseling that is focused on addiction and substance abuse. Students who major in psychology begin their coursework in the General BA degree, but have the option of choosing one of our new specializations: Clinical and Mental Health; Developmental; or Intergroup Dynamics and Social Equity.
We are dedicated to providing students with rigorous academic preparation in the science of psychology, requiring all majors to complete one of three capstone courses. This preparation emphasizes an empirical approach to the study of psychology with a concerted focus on the use of research methodology and evidence-based strategies to better understand and solve problems. Ultimately, our program aims to cultivate well-rounded students with the knowledge, critical thinking skills, and lifelong learning skills needed to succeed in the workplace and/or in graduate school.
You will join a growing program of six faculty whose expertise includes clinical, social, health, neuroscience, personality, and education. As a growing institution, faculty have opportunities to propose new courses and develop programming to strengthen our curriculum. Faculty are also provided with supported professional development opportunities to strengthen their teaching and scholarship. Visit our department website to learn more about the psychology program.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year (four courses per semester).
- Teach lower- and upper-level courses in psychology.
- Advise majors/minors and serve on departmental/institutional committees.
- Engage in scholarly activity within your discipline or in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Ph.D. in Psychology or a related field (Candidates who are ABD are eligible with the expectation that the Ph.D. will be completed by July 31, 2023).
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and a genuine interest in joining NSC
- Demonstrated dedication to or interest in working with a diverse student population
Ability to teach:
- Introductory Psychology
- Statistics and/or Research Methods
- Research-based Capstone (PSY 375 or PSY 490)
- Other courses in the applicant's area(s) of expertise (review list of courses)
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor visas for international employees)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- Expertise in clinical, counseling, or developmental psychology
- Interest in mentoring undergraduates in research
- Experience in web-based learning management systems
- Experience with (or desire to teach) online, hybrid, or evening classes
Rank, Salary, & Benefits
- Open rank, Tenure track or Tenure, 9-month appointment
- Highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Opportunities for additional overload pay in winter and summer sessions
- Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
Please submit the following at jobs.nsc.edu (Position #R0134793):
- Cover letter highlighting record of achievement in the following areas: teaching, research, and service; academic leadership (including mentoring junior faculty); and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout your work (e.g., teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service)
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Up to two additional documents of your choice demonstrating excellence and effectiveness in teaching (e.g., sample assignments, feedback on student writing, student evaluations, or peer observations)
- Contact information for three references (References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process)
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
This Posting is Open Until Filled